Corporate Crime Network – International Conference
17-19 September 2009, London
This conference addresses recent developments in corporate criminal law across Europe, Canada, Australia and the US.
Videos from the conference are now available
Please note Linux and Mac users will need to download VLC (or equivalent) in order to view these videos.
- Please click here for the Friday morning session, titled Causes of Business Crime.
- Please click here for the Friday afternoon session, titled Developments in European Law.
- Please click here for the Saturday session, titled Investigation and Enforcement.
Thursday, 17th September
6pm Drinks reception, Clifford Chance
Friday, 18th September
9.20 Opening remarks: Michael Smyth, Partner and Head of Public Policy, Clifford Chance
9.30 Keynote address: Prof Celia Wells, Professor of Law, University of Bristol
10.20 Morning Plenary Session 1: Causes of business crime
- Organisational deviance: Maurice Punch, Visiting Professor of Criminology, King’s College, London
- Corporate culture: Rick Sarre, Professor of Law & Criminal Justice, University of S. Australia
- Corporate crime and state complicity: Steve Tombs, Professor of Sociology, Liverpool John Moores University
12.00 Morning Plenary Session 2: Linking causes to offences
- Organisational liability: Chris Clarkson, Professor of Law, University of Leicester
- Individual liability: Neil Foster, Senior Lecturer, University of Newcastle (Australia)
- The link between organisational & individual liability: Laureen Snider, Professor of Law, Queens University, Canada
2.00 Afternoon Plenary Session: Developments in European Law
- Austria: Ingrid Mitgutsch, Associate Professor of Law, Johannes Kepler University
- France: Dr Pascal Beauvais, Lecturer in Law, Université Paris X
- Germany: Dr Klaus Rogall, Professor of Law, Freie Univesität Berlin
- Romania: Dr Ana-Maria Pascal, Lecturer and Senior Researcher, University of Essex
- Lithuania: Dr Deividas Soloveicikas, Attorney and Lecturer in Law, Vilnius University
3.45 Afternoon Breakout Sessions:
- Companies and Human Rights
- Deaths at work
- Directors’ liability
- Financial crimes
- Environmental crimes
Saturday 19th September
9.30 Morning Plenary Session : Investigation and enforcement
- Investigating financial crimes: Michael Levi, Professor of Social Sciences, Cardiff University
- Investigating safety and financial crimes in Scandinavia: Dr Anne Alvesalo-Kuusi, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health
- Making prosecution decisions: Claude LaFont, Prosecutor
11:15 The future of corporate criminal liability: Keir Starmer QC, Director of Public Prosecutions